Tuesday, February 2, 2010

twenty-fourth

I made THE BEST curried vegetables last night.

I've always had bad experience when I've ordered dishes with the word "curry" in them out at restaurants. I've been hesitant to make my own. But, I'm glad I finally did.

I found a vegetable curry recipe on allrecipes.com to serve as a guide. It sounded okay, but I figured I could make it better. And I did.



Sweet & Spicy Vegetable Curry

2 tbsp butter (can easily be omitted to make a vegan dish!)
2 tbsp vegetable oil (increase this a bit if you skip the butter)
1 medium onion, finely diced
4 carrots, chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tsp fresh ginger
3 tbsp curry powder
salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp agave nectar
5 red potatoes, chopped
1/2 cup water
jasmine rice

1. Heat the butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and carrots, cook for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and fresh ginger, continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until onion and carrots are tender.
2. Add curry powder, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and agave nectar.
3. Add the potatoes to the pan, and stir to coat with spices. Reduce heat to medium-low, add water, cover, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Stir occasionally.
4. Serve over jasmine rice.

Please adjust agave & curry to taste...mine was just the right amount of spice for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment