I had a chance to make my first soup of the year - the fifth day in! I love soup so much, even more when it's cold outside because a hot soup can fix even the chilliest of chills! This soup is completely vegan, although it does seem quite creamy due to the almond milk, and should cost under $2 per serving!
Creamy Curried Cauliflower Soup (adapted from the current Whole Foods circular)
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
3 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
5 tsp curry powder (use your favorite)
1 cup chopped yellow onion
3 cloves chopped garlic
5 cups (about 1 small head, or a little over half medium head) of cauliflower
sea salt (to taste)
agave nectar (to taste - about 4 tablespoons)
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In a small bowl, toss sunflower seeds with 1 teaspoon of almond milk & 1 teaspoon curry powder. Spread out on a small parchment paper-line baking sheet and bake, tossing once or twice, for 6 to 8 minutes. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, heat 1/2 cup almond milk in large pot over medium heat. Add garlic & onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft (about 10 minutes).
4. Add cauliflower, remaining 4 teaspoons of curry powder and almond milk. Bring to a boil.
5. Cover and turn down heat to a simmer until cauliflower is very tender, about 40 minutes.
6. Add salt & agave nectar to taste.
7. Working in batches, carefully puree soup in blender until smooth.
8. Transfer to bowls, and top with sunflower seeds!